Home. Family. Warmth. Safety. Acceptance. These are some of the most important things in the world. We work, and struggle, and sacrifice to have them. They give our lives meaning.
Over the past week, we’ve shared stories of people who have fought for their families and sacrificed to create new lives in new homes. Your support of our mission helped us reach out to them and give encouragement in difficult times.
Because of you:
- A young woman who escaped the ebola outbreak in Congo has a new washer and dryer for her home.
- Families received “welcome home” baskets filled with household essentials, sharing the message that they are indeed welcome in their new communities.
- A young family has new kitchenware, bedding, and other home furnishings after leaving Syria with only what they could carry in backpacks.
- Community pantries, shelters, and other support organizations received a welcome influx of much-needed items to help care for the people they see every day.
- A determined refugee from Liberia received a helping hand while working to make ends meet as she cares for her daughter and disabled mother.
- Dozens of children all over the world started at new schools with new clothing, shoes, backpacks, and school supplies.
Just the Beginning
Throughout this series of articles, we’ve highlighted a number of organizations that help refugees around the world, as found by our staff members and regional representatives. It’s our hope that you may feel inspired to reach out to these wonderful organizations too, or discover other groups near you. We’re always looking for new ways to spread kindness, so if you find an organization that seems like a good fit, we’d love to hear about it! Send us a message, or contact your local representative!
- Bath Welcomes Refugees – Bath, England
- Caritas of Austin – Texas, US
- Center for Asylum Seekers, Refugees, and Detainees (CARAD) – Perth, Australia
- City of Refuge – Missouri, US
- El Centro – Ohio, US
- International Care Network – Bournemouth, England
- International Rescue Committee (IRC) – worldwide
- Rose Haven – Oregon, US
- Support for Wigans Arrival Project – Manchester, UK
We’ve all felt an abundance of love and hope in sharing these stories with each other and with you. Thank you for helping us as we work to conquer the world one random act of kindness at a time.