Random Acts will be present next weekend at Creation Entertainment’s Salute to Supernatural, Burbank (November 14th – 16th), collecting items for a local nonprofit once again. This time around, we’ve been lucky enough to partner with the wonderful Downtown Women’s Center of Burbank.
Founded in 1978 by social worker Jill Halverson and her friend Rose, The Downtown Women’s Center functions as one of the nation’s largest providers of permanent supportive housing for women. In 2013, they served over 4,000 women overcoming poverty, and, of the clients that they have housed over the years, 95% have never returned to homelessness. The DWC operates two shelters, the Los Angeles and San Pedro Street homes, and provides educational, health, and basic need services for nearly 200 women per day at their drop-in Day Center. Their mission is to foster dignity, respect, and personal stability, and to advocate ending homelessness for women.
Over #BurCon weekend, we will be collecting the following items from the DWC wishlist in an effort to provide some much needed aid:
- Whole grains (brown rice, rolled oats/oatmeal, barley, bulgur wheat, millet, quinoa, corn masa, corn polenta, corn grits)
- Whole grain cereals (with less than 8g of sugar per serving)
- Whole grain crackers (or partially whole grain)
- Dried fruit
- Applesauce (jars or snack packs)
- Bottled water and juice
- Specialty vegetables, jarred (sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, marinated artichokes)
- Canned/aseptic fish-sardines, salmon, tuna
- Canned beans (all varieties, but especially black and garbanzo)
- Toothbrushes/Travel-size toothpaste
- Adult incontinence products
- Hair brushes
You may bring donations to the Random Acts table in the Vendor’s room throughout the weekend; staffers Annie, Rebecca, Nicole, Casey, and Kae will be available to answer any questions you have and provide additional information as well. Come out and help us #GetKind at #Burcon — together we can change some lives!
Make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr for updates as the weekend progresses. Remember to tag any acts of kindness that you perform or encounter during the convention with the hashtag #GetKind or #BurCon so that our supporters can see them! We can’t wait to meet you.