Are you ready to Spread SOME Kindness with us? In just a few weeks, from Friday, July 24th to Sunday, July 26th, we will be hosting a food drive at Creation Entertainment’s Salute to Supernatural – Washington, DC convention to support So Others Might Eat (SOME).
Who is SOME?
SOME is a local Washington, DC nonprofit whose mission revolves around assisting the area’s poor and homeless. They provide basic needs, such as food, clothing, and health care, in addition to offering a variety of services, including affordable housing, job training, addiction treatment, and counseling. For 45 years, they have been working to break the cycle of homelessness. In 2014 alone, they provided:
- 427,278 meals
- 22,239 free sets of clothing and showers
- 9,197 visits to a doctor or dentist
- 192 families and 595 single adults with safe, affordable housing
Last May, we partnered with SOME for the first ever DCcon, raising over $1700 and collecting 11 boxes of food for them with the help of our generous supporters.
How can I help?
If you’ll be attending DCcon, you can join us in supporting SOME by contributing an item (or items) to the food drive. These items will help stock SOME’s food pantry, which supports their programs and houses throughout the year. SOME’s wish list includes:
- Ground coffee
- Non-refrigerated creamer
- Snacks (e.g. chips, granola bars, popcorn, etc.)
- Sugar, salt, flour, seasonings
- Salad dressing (other than Italian)
- Ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Hot sauce
- Pancake mix
- Canned pasta (e.g. Chef Boyardee)
- Reusable grocery bags
Monetary donations will also be accepted.
Are there still spots available for the Monday volunteer event?
In addition to the food drive, we are taking 10 volunteers with us to SOME on Monday, July 27th to help serve lunch to the homeless/poor as part of SOME’s daily food service. At this time, all 10 spots have been filled. We received a total of 79 sign-ups, which is way beyond what we were expecting. If we could, we would take everybody with us!
While the only volunteer activity officially organized by us on July 27th will be with SOME, there are many other volunteer opportunities being offered by local organizations on that day, such as:
I’m not going to DCcon. : (
That’s ok! Even if you can’t join us at DCcon, you can still Spread SOME Kindness with us. Here are some ideas:
- Donate goods to a shelter, soup kitchen, and/or food bank in your local community.
- Organize your own community food drive and invite others to participate.
- Prepare, serve, and/or donate meals at your local shelter or soup kitchen.
FYI, we’ve made a handy informational flyer for this event!